OSD600 Intro Post

Introduction:

Hello, my name is Joey and I am a student at Seneca studying Computer Programming. My whole life I have always been interested in technology. Towards the end of high school, I enrolled in Computer Science and enjoyed the subject. My passion for technology and love of code persuaded me to get an education in Computer Programming.

Why Are You Taking this Class?

I am taking this class to help widen my skill set and also because I have always been interested in Open Source. I know many programming technologies such as Java, C++ and SQL but I don't know anything about Open Source. It has been a goal of mine to learn but never had the time to look into it. Therefore, I decided to take this class as I believe this is one of the best opportunities to learn! 

What is it About Open Source that Attracted You?

The freedom the comes with it. I am fascinated by the idea that anyone can take my code and work with it, and I can do the same to theirs. I believe the more people that collaborate on something the better the outcome. This leads to "endless" improvement towards software since now (in a sense) everyone from around the world can come together and help improve software and add new innovations to it.

Where are you?

I am currently in Ontario

What are you hoping to accomplish this term? What kinds of projects do you want to work on?

I am hoping to learn about open source and get some experience working with it. I would also like to get an 'A' in this class. I know grades are not everything but I am hoping to maintain my GPA. I have always been interested in web development and really enjoyed the web classes we had to take at Seneca. So I would like to work on something using web technologies (Angular, Javascript, API's ect...).

What was the GitHub trending repo you researched above? Provide a link and tell us about it. Why did you pick it?

The trending repo I picked was "Algorithms" by williamfiset

Original repo: https://github.com/williamfiset/Algorithms 

Forked repo: https://github.com/joey2031/Algorithms

This is a collection of algorithms and data structures written in Java (search, sort, ect...) I picked this because I know data structures and algorithms are a very important topic in Computer Science/Programming so I think it's nice to have this repository as a reference on how to build them.  I am always documenting on my Github through private repositories so I can look back if I forget how to do something. Eg. archiving labs, assignments, or any testing code I wrote to learn a new concept. This caught my eye because this is something I would do (and contribute to).  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OSD600 Release 0.4 Part 3

Release 0.3 PR2

OSD 600 Lab 2