OSD 600 Lab 2

I really enjoyed this lab as is helped me understand the process/workflow of contributing to open source. I wrote a separate article on that which can be found here

During this lab, I created an issue on the original repository saying I wish to implement additional features to the code.  Once I got approval from the original author to do this I forked and cloned the project, created a new branch called issue-2, and uploaded the code I wrote to it. After that, I made a pull request to the original repository. For my feature, I added the v and version arguments to their command-line tool.

The process of getting my work accepted was exciting as I got to hear from the person who wrote the code and learn what it is exactly they want. This a great opportunity to improve on the code you wrote. One problem I had was after I got the feedback I was not sure how to edit code on the issue-2 branch, after doing some research I learned how to switch branches via the git checkout command. I also noticed in visual studio code it allows you to switch branched at the bottom. I also learned when pushing to a branch you are working on the command is git push origin branchName. The other day I was practicing git and I did git push master and it pushed the second branch to the main branch and messed up everything. Now I am aware of the right command to use when pushing to another branch. Next time I will try to use the CLI throughout the whole lab. I used the GUI on Github in the beginning of this lab and it set me back a bit in terms of learning the commands.

I really enjoyed receiving a pull request to my repository as it allows for collaboration on my code. People can help me save time fixing bugs or adding features by writing code for me, and I can do the same to them. This is a great way to not only speed up development but also get better code written in the project as it will have many people working on it and reviewing it. The author added a small amount of code to implement the DNS feature, they did a very good job making sure the code they added is the same as the style of mine. The process went well!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OSD600 Release 0.4 Part 3

Release 0.3 PR2