OSD600 Lab 4

In this week's lab, we learned how to work with remotes in git. I am really happy we did this lab because before we learned this I was wondering how do you test someone's work before accepting their PR? First, we had to add a --ignore feature to each other's programs. This was the hardest part of the lab. I was able to add the feature to my partners and she was able to do the same to mine, but we both ran into some issues. So we collaborated with each other via ms teams and Github to fix our code. We were having a really hard time fixing mine so we had to ask out professor David. David was able to fix this but instead of giving me the solution he gave me a diff file and made me figure it out myself. I know this may not seem like a big deal but before this, I weren't so good at reading diffs so I am happy he did this as it forced me to learn. Reading and modifying the diff was harder than I expected, but after reading some articles David sent me and keep trying I eventually figured it out, along with some tips I realized while reading it.

After that, my partner and I made a new branch on her fork, I then made the remote, tested, and merged. This part was pretty straight forward and did not run into many problems.  One issue I did have was I updated the readme on GitHub. After that, I wanted the updated one in my local repository. I keep running git fetch and nothing got updated. Then I tried git fetch origin master, and I still didn't get the desired result. So I did some research and realized. git fetch tells your local git to retrieve the latest meta-data info from the original git pull does what git fetch does AND brings (copy) those changes from the remote repository. After that, I ran git pull and was able to successfully update everything and added that note to my OSD600 notes for future reference. I did struggle quite a bit during this lab but (more importantly) learned a lot!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OSD600 Release 0.4 Part 3

OSD600 Lab 5

Release 0.3 PR2