OSD600 Release 0.2 PR 1

The time has come to start release 0.2! For this release, we start contributing to real open source projects on Github! When I read what we had to do I was excited and nervous at the same time. I never contributed to Open Source and was scared of things such as not being able to find anything I can work on, or start working on an issue then realizing I have taken on something too challenging. What I learned after my first pull request is I was wrong!

I started looking for good first issues on the up for grabs website provided by my professor. It took a lot of searching but I finally found an issue perfect for my first pull request! This repository was working on a cli application to create almost any programming language file. I looked through their issues and found this They wanted people to pick a language and do various things with it such as write a hello world and document how to create inline comments. I noticed they already did SQL but was missing PL/SQL. I already had some knowledge about PL/SQL so I felt comfortable doing this. I made a comment and told them I would like to add PL/SQL. Then I waited. After a while, there was no reply so I decided to go for it and make a PR anyways (either way I saw this is a great opportunity to practice). The set up was very easy as I already had a text editor installed on my laptop and knew the PL/SQL syntax. The code I wrote was a simple PL/SQL block that outputted hello world. Then I added some documentation on how to write inline comments in inlinecomments.txt, and other minor stuff (update read me, modify another document ect..) While I was working on my code I noticed a small typo in one of the other files, so I decided to fix that to and tell them about it. By the time I finished and made my PR they replied to my request to work on this! 

To be honest I didn't think I would have to do any research for this pull request until they replied:
While I took DBS501 at Seneca we always used the .SQL extension while working on PL/SQL. I was shocked when he asked me this. So I started to do some research and learned something I never knew before. When working in PL/SQL the extension can be .sql however, its better practice to use the .pls extension since that indicates it is a PL/SQL script. When I started working on this issue I didn't expect to learn much outside of contributing to open source. I am very happy I got to work on this because I also learned more about PL/SQL. Moral of the story: never think you know everything, there is always something new to learn!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OSD600 Release 0.4 Part 3

OSD600 Lab 5

Release 0.3 PR2