OSD600 Release 0.2 PR 2

I started searching for my second pull request on the Hacktoberfest website. As I was looking I found this repository. This was a collection of algorithms written in various programming languages. I have not done much work with algorithms and for this PR and I was hoping to do something with C++ so this seemed like a perfect issue. I worked on this issue, which was to add any algorithm in any language not currently present. At first, my plan was to do bubble sort since I learned that at Seneca and had a good understanding of how it worked. But, someone already did that. At first, I started freaking out because I didn't know any other algorithms. So then I took a deep breath and started doing some research. Eventually, I came across an algorithm called CocktailSort. This seemed like it was a good algorithm to try since I didn't know how it worked, I never studied an algorithm like that, it was more challenging then bubble sort, and was not present in the C++/Sorting directory of the repository. I first let the owner know I will start working on CocktailSort in C++. Then I started coding. After reading some articles, studying the code, and writing it out, it wasn't so bad! I then created and pull requested and waited. The one error I made was I named the file wrong. I named it CocktailSort.cpp, and the maintainers wanted it named cocktail_sort.cpp

I then proceeded to fix that, and my code got merged! This was a really good experience since this made me go out of my comfort zone. I also got to learn a new algorithm because of it! Next time I will try to not be so scared and do some research before making a decision on something. I really enjoyed this pull request and can't wait for the next one!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OSD600 Release 0.4 Part 3

OSD600 Lab 5

Release 0.3 PR2