OSD 600 Lab 3

This week we learned how to create new branches and merge them into the master branch. First, we had to pick 2 features from the list to be added to our program. The features I decided to add where: 

  • Make sure that the program exits with an appropriate error code. If there are no errors (all links are good), exit with 0. Otherwise, exit with a non-zero exit code.
  • Support --all--good, and --bad flags. The --all flag is the default, and if none of these are present, it will display good and bad URLs. The --good flag causes only good URLs to get displayed; the --bad flag causes only bad URLs to get displayed.
Then I created issues on GitHub for each feature requesting they for them to be added. The first feature on the list above was issue 9  the second feature was issue 10. After that, I made 2 new branches for each issue and started working! First I added the feature of issue 9 and committed it to this branch. When I finished that I started the next feature (issue 10) and committed to the issue 10 branch. Everything was going well until it was time to merge! First I merged issue-9 with the master branch. But when it was time to merge issue 10 I made a horrible mistake. I wasn't paying attention and merged master into issue 10! The funny thing is there were merge conflicts but I still decided to fix them not realizing I merged to the wrong branch. After that, the code on my main branch got messed up and I had to fix it. One strange thing about this that I can't figure out... there is no pull request for merging master into issue-10. The pull requests for the 2 additional features can be found here and here 
No PR:

This experience taught me to always be careful when merging. Yes, you can always go back in git but this is a mistake that wastes a huge amount of time and can be easily avoided. I also realized taking some time to think and plan what you are going to do with git can pay off. Next time I will be more careful and pay more attention to the actions I am about to do before I start making them. Overall this was a good experience and I cannot wait to try this out again!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OSD600 Release 0.4 Part 3

OSD600 Lab 5

Release 0.3 PR2